Faculty Recognition Award
Faculty Recognition Award
Any full-time faculty member at Fairmont State University.
The nominator should complete and submit the electronic nomination form explaining why the faculty member deserves consideration for the award. The committee will ask faculty members who have been named if they will consent to the nomination.
December 20, 2013
The committee hopes to obtain specific information about each nominee’s outstanding achievements in some or all of the following areas:
- Ability to engage and inspire in students independent and original thinking.
- Active involvement in and guidance of student research projects, both undergraduate and graduate.
- Advising students with personal attention and care.
- The capacity to reflect on action so as to engage in a process of continuous learning as it pertains to teaching and learning.
After your nomination has been received you will be contacted by the Professional Development Committee chair and assigned a self-enrollment code so you can submit the following documents to TaskStream:
1. Cover Letter (1-2 pages):
The most useful cover letter does more than list the contents and reiterate the letters of support. The cover letter should make a clear and persuasive case for why the Professional Development committee should give the nominee the award by identifying the nominee’s strengths and talents in the areas listed under the Selection Criteria.
2. Teaching Philosophy
3. Nominee’s curriculum vitae
4. Analysis of and reflection on Course Evaluation data. IDEA data and/or data collected through self-created evaluations may be used. In either case, the committee in looking for how student feedback informs the applicant’s teaching practices.
5. 5 Letters of Support
- 2 peers
- 2 students
- 1 Dean or Department chair
In March, the Faculty Development Committee will review the materials submitted and select a recipient whose achievements are significant as well as representative of the high quality of performance demonstrated by all faculty. The awardee will be notified prior to the Spring Academic Awards Banquet, when the name of the recipient will be announced to the greater Fairmont State.
March 3, 2014
Purpose & History
The Faculty Development Committee presents this award to honor excellence in teaching faculty and to encourage adjunct faculty's continuing efforts to excel. Because the committee does not believe that there is only one excellent teacher, effort has been made to eliminate as many of the “competitive” aspects of the award as possible. Recipients of the award will be faculty members who have demonstrated a sustained, energetic, and successful commitment to teaching. This commitment can be shown in various ways, depending on the particular discipline and teaching responsibilities. Some of these ways are listed in the above criteria. Finally, since teaching is the most important responsibility of the faculty, the award is designed to recognize accomplishments in teaching, and not accomplishments in the other admittedly important areas of service or scholarship.