Past Straight Award Winners
Pamela Huggins (2008-2009)
Rebecca Giorcelli (2010-2011)
Julie Sellers (2012-2013)
Denice Kirchoff (2011-2012)
Please direct any questions about the awards to the Faculty Development Committee Chair, Denise Lindstrom.
Harold and Roselyn Williamson Straight Award for Teaching Excellence
The Harold and Roselyn Williamson Straight Award
The award is intended to honor or encourage outstanding, innovative, or otherwise distinctive teaching or scholarship by faculty at Fairmont State University.
Varies from year to year; sourced from an endowed fund. For 2013, the amount is $750.
The nominator should complete and submit the electronic nomination form explaining why the faculty member deserves consideration for the award. The committee will ask faculty members who have been named if they will consent to the nomination.
January 13, 2014
The committee hopes to obtain specific information about each nominee’s outstanding achievements in one or all of the following areas:
- Innovative course design or redesign to support progressive student-centered pedagogies that prepare students for a rapidly changing technologically advanced world. (Example artifacts: course syllabus with curriculum committee approval)
- Committed and caring engagement with students and student organizations. (Example artifacts: Letters from students or student organization)
- Notable scholarly or creative publication or products (Example artifacts: copy of publication or images of creative product).
- Leadership in university wide endeavors to improve recruitment and retention of students. (Example artifacts: Letter from peers and/or supervisors).
1. Cover Letter (2 - 3 pages):
The most useful cover letter does more than list the contents and reiterate the letters of support. The cover letter should make a clear and persuasive case for why the Professional Development committee should give the nominee the award by identifying the nominee’s strengths and talents.
2. Nominee’s curriculum vitae
3. An artifact and description that provides concrete evidence of achievement in the areas the nominee is claiming as an accomplishment (see selection criteria).
4. 3 Letters of Support
- 2 peers
- 1 Dean or Department chair
In March, the Faculty Development Committee will review the materials submitted and select a recipient whose achievements are significant as well as representative of the high quality of performance demonstrated by all faculty. The awardee will be notified prior to the Spring Academic Awards Banquet, when the name of the recipient will be announced to the greater Fairmont State.
March 3, 2014
Purpose & History
An endowed fund for faculty development awards has been established with the Fairmont State Foundation, Inc., through the generosity of David and Carol Straight. The Fund will be known as the The Harold and Roselyn Williamson Straight Award.